Tuesday, April 17, 2007

What Happened to Rythym and Blues?

As I was listening to the radio the other day, as I always do, I began to wonder why the radio didn't sound the way it used to sound.   My meaning of that is, where is all of the R&B music.  Now, I know that there is a much younger crowd listening to the radio and nowadays you have to cater to the taste of the mainstream crowd, but wow, I'm really missing the easy going songs that don't have rap in them.   It seems that the songs that are out now, even the slow ones, contain some kind of rap in it.  Sometimes I just want to hear someone singing without someone jumping in during the middle of the song rapping on something that doesn't have anything to do with the song.

 

I remember back in the day when R&B was the main music on the radio station.   You could turn the radio on and hear about 5 or 6 songs, with only people singing.  No small verse for a rap or a rap in the beginning to bring in the song.   Just pure singing. 

 

There is one song that I always laugh at when I think about how rap has to be incorporated into every song.   I must say that I  like the song when it came out and I still do to a certain extent, but the Lovers and Friends with Usher, Lil John and Ludacris.   It's cute but it's still hilarious.  I will say that it brought out the softer side of rap, but the song still could have been a hit without the rap.   Oh yeah, and that other song, Buddy, byt Musiq.  OK.  The whole rap in the beginning of the song I don't even listen to.   I think it's a whole bunch of irrelevant "stuff" that I have to listen to because the regular song isn't long enough to play on the radio.  Yep.   That's right.  A space filler.  It's ok on some songs but, like I said before, let's only do a few songs like that and get back to our R&B roots.   Let's start singing about love and life situations without talking about "I got bling bling this and I got bling bling that."  Actually, sometimes I like to be able to relax when I listen to the radio and not have to always listen to Foxy in order to do it.  

 

So anyway, let's see if we can support artists and their R&B endeavors.   Rap is cool but only to a certain degree.  In a few years, if we keep moving at this rate, the only thing on the radio will be rap, and we won't have any singing at all.  Shoot.  Singing just might get looked over as a talent.  Let's bring R&B back and support those artists.   I don't know about you but I'm tired of people yelling in my ears.

No comments: